This “Easy Soft Whole Grain Tortilla Recipe Using “Whey” is one of the most used recipes in our home as it is quick simple and delicious and it calls for ONLY 4 Ingredients!
If you make any sort of cheese product, you probably land up with a lot of extra whey. There are SO many ways to use whey but, one of my favorites is in baking! There are many times that I will use my whey liquid to completely replace the liquid in my baking recipes. The best part? It is SO good for you! That being said, let us talk about some of the benefits of whey!
Benefits Of Whey:
- Whey is a high-quality protein
- It supports healthy muscle growth
- It can lower blood pressure
- May help reduce inflammation
- Can enhance the body’s antioxidant defenses
- Can help you maintain a healthy body weight
Easy Soft Whole Grain Tortilla Recipe Using “Whey”
- * Cast Iron Skillet
- * Utensil to flip the tortillas
- * Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- * Airtight Container or Ziplock Bag for storing
- * Pot with lid for keeping tortillas warm
- 5 cups. whole grain flour
- 1/4 cup. olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup. warm water or warm whey remember to read your dough, if it needs more liquid add more, if it needs a little more flour just add until your dough is a beautiful tortilla dough *Your ratios can vary based off the climate you live in
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- * For dry ingredients, add flour, salt and olive oil to a bowl
- * Add your warm whey or your warm water a little at a time until you get a really good tortilla consistency
- * With whole grains I look for a little bit more of a sticky
- * Let rest for 5 minutes
- * Heat up cast iron skillet or whatever skillet you have on a medium-high heat
- * On floured service roll out your down with rolling pin. I use a little more than a golf ball size piece of dough.
- Use oil to keep pan greased while cooking tortillas
- * Your first tortilla may take a little longer to complete, once your pan is heated to the proper temperature it should take 30-45 seconds for each side.
Taste Of Whey In Baked Goods
This just may be my favorite part! I LOVE the tangy taste that whey adds to my tortillas! If you love sourdough it may not be as strong of a taste as sourdough however, it sure gives off some tang in your tortillas and we LOVE it!!!
If you don’t have whey, water works just as well!!
Homemade whole wheat tortillas do not need to be complicated. We definitely like these whole wheat flour tortillas when they are fresh the best, as they are softer, more pliable, and every bite is perfect.
Breakfast, Lunch, Or Dinner
When I say we use this recipe all the time, it’s so true! If we want breakfast burritos, we quickly make these up. Forgot to make bread for lunch? These will likely find their way onto the menu. These whole-grain tortillas also make great snacks for little children who just need something quick and filling to eat on the go.
Ways To Use Easy Soft Whole Grain Tortilla Recipe In Everyday Meals
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Breakfast Wraps
- Dip in olive oil salt and pepper
What Kind Of Whole Grains Work Best?
My favorites to use are:
- White whole wheat flour
- Red whole wheat flour
- Soft can work but is not my favorite for this recipe
I recommend trying this “Easy Soft Whole Grain Tortilla Recipe Using “Whey” with whatever whole grains you have on hand.
Some whole-wheat tortillas do not call for oil. However, we have found in this simple recipe that the oil really helps with making more pliable tortillas.
I do not recommend vegetable oil or any processed oils as it is definitely not as healthy. If it is all you have on hand at the time though, just add whatever oil you have on hand that can be used in baking.
I love the taste of olive oil in this recipe however, I have used avocado oil and it works great too!
Can I Use All Purpose Flour
The answer is yes, you can. However, whole grains have always been what we have used.
So grab your whole grains or your all-purpose flour and let’s make some homemade tortillas
These whole-wheat flour soft tortillas only call for 4 ingredients. I love that these whole-grain tortillas don’t take a lot of ingredients because more often than not you will have them on hand!
- Whole Grain Flour
- Olive Oil
- Whey (Optional)
- Cast Iron Skillet or skillet of choice
- Utensil to flip the tortillas
- Rolling Pin
- Airtight Container or Ziplock Bag for storing
- Pot with lid for keeping tortillas warm
Easy Soft Whole Grain Tortilla Recipe
5 cups. whole grain flour
1/4 cup. olive oil
2 cup. warm water or warm whey (remember to read your dough, if it needs more liquid add more. If it needs a little more flour just add until your dough is a beautiful tortilla dough) *Your ratios can vary based on the climate you live in so always keep that in mind.
2 tsp. sea salt
- For dry ingredients, add flour, salt, and olive oil to a bowl
- Add your warm whey or your warm water a little at a time until you get a really good tortilla consistency
- With whole grains, I look for a little bit more of a sticky dough
- Cover and let rest for 5 minutes
- Heat up a cast iron skillet or whatever skillet you have on a medium-high heat
- On a floured surface, roll out your down with a rolling pin. I use a little more than a golf ball size piece of dough.
- Your first tortilla may take a little longer to complete however, once your pan is heated to the proper temperature it should take 30-45 seconds for each side.
This makes a big batch of tortillas!
As they come off the skillet, I usually like to place them in a pan with a lid or into a plastic bag or ziplock bag.
That’s it!! If you enjoy these recipes, you may also enjoy the ones below!